The KRAS-variant is an inherited genetic mutation that is frequently found in women with advanced endometriosis and is associated with an increased risk of certain types of cancers.1-7
Endometriosis, which affects approximately 1 in 10 girls and women in the U.S., can be a painful condition which may impact a woman’s fertility.
The KRAS-variant is the only inherited genetic variant associated with developing endometriosis,8,9 and women with this genetic mutation are at risk of especially aggressive forms of endometriosis, meaning it has the potential to be treatment-resistant and associated with infertility.
Our goal at MiraKind is to conduct research studies which will help identify the most effective strategies for KRAS-variant women with endometriosis to manage their condition and reduce their future cancer risk.
The MiraKind community brings together individuals with the KRAS-variant to share their stories, learn from one other, and offer support. Learn more.
Spread the Word!
We need your help to let people know about the KRAS-variant. Hover over an image to share.
Or click a button below:
- Paranjape, T., Heneghan, H., Lindner, R., Keane, F., Hoffman, A., Hollestelle, A., Dorairaj, J., Geyda, K., Pelletier, C., Nallur, S., et al. (2011). A 3'-untranslated region KRAS variant and triple-negative breast cancer: a case-control and genetic analysis. Lancet Oncology 12, 377-386.
- Ratner, E., Lu, L., Boeke, M., Barnett, R., Nallur, S., Chin, L., Pelletier, C., Blitzblau, R., Tassi, R., Paranjape, T., et al. (2010). A KRAS-variant in Ovarian Cancer Acts as a Genetic Marker of Cancer Risk. Cancer Research 15, 6509-6515.
- Chin, L., Ratner, E., Leng, S., Zhai, R., Nullur, S., Babar, I., Muller, R., Straka, E., Su, L., Burki, E., et al. (2008). A SNP in a let-7 microRNA complementary site in the KRAS 3' untranslated region increases non-small cell lung cancer risk. Cancer Res 68, 8535-8540.
- Kazmi HR, Chandra A, Kumar S, Satyam LK, Gupta A, Nigam J, Srivastava M, Mittal B. (2016) A let-7 microRNA binding site polymorphism in the KRAS 3’UTR is associated with increased risk and reduced survival for gallbladder cancer in North Indian population. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2016 Sep 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gutiérrez-Malacatt H, Ayala-Sanchez M, Aquino-Ortega X, Dominguez-Rodriguez J, Martinez-Tovar A, Olarte-Carrillo I, Martinez-Hernandez A, C CC, Orozco L, Cordova EJ. (2016) The rs61764370 Functional Variant in the KRAS Oncogene is Associated with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Risk in Women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2016;17(4):2265-70.
- Pilarski, R., Patel, D., Weitzel, J., McVeigh, T., Dorairaj, J., Heneghan, H., Miller, N., Weidhaas, J., Kerin, M., McKenna, M., et al. (2012). A KRAS-variant is associated with risk of developing double primary breast and ovarian cancer. PLos ONE 7, e37891.
- McVeigh TP, Jung SY, Kerin MJ, Salzman DW, Nallur S, Nemec AA, Dookwah M, Sadofsky J, Paranjape T, Kelly O, Chan E, Miller N, Sweeney KJ, Zelterman D, Sweasy J, Pilarski R, Telesca D, Slack FJ, Weidhaas JB. (2015) Estrogen withdrawal, increased breast cancer risk and the KRAS-variant. Cell Cycle. 2015;14(13):2091-9. doi: 10.1080/15384101.2015.1041694. Epub 2015 May 11.
- Grechukhina O, Petracco R, Popkhadze S, Massasa E, Paranjape T, Chan E, Flores I, Weidhaas JB, Taylor HS. (2012). A polymorphism in a let-7 microRNA binding site of KRAS in women with endometriosis. EMBO Mol Med. 2012 Mar;4(3):206-17. doi: 10.1002/emmm.201100200. Epub 2012 Feb 3.
- Farahani MS, Shahbazi S, Moghaddam SA, Mahdian R. (2014). Evaluation of KRAS Gene Expression and LCS6 Variant in Genomic and Cell-Free DNA of Iranian Women With Endometriosis. Reprod Sci. 2015 Jun;22(6):679-84. doi: 10.1177/1933719114556478. Epub 2014 Oct 30.