The KRAS-variant is an inherited genetic mutation associated with a family history of cancer, especially breast,1 ovarian,2 lung,3 as well as other cancers,4,5 and multiple cancers in the same individual.6,7
The KRAS-variant, in contrast, is found in 6-10% of the population, making it 20x more common than BRCA genetic mutations.
Because the KRAS-variant is primarily associated with cancer onset at or after menopause, learning whether you carry this inherited genetic mutation can help you make informed decisions about your health at many points in your life:
The MiraKind community brings together individuals with the KRAS-variant to share their stories, learn from one other, and offer support. Learn more.
Spread the Word!
We need your help to let people know about the KRAS-variant. Hover over an image to share.
Or click a button below:
- Paranjape, T., Heneghan, H., Lindner, R., Keane, F., Hoffman, A., Hollestelle, A., Dorairaj, J., Geyda, K., Pelletier, C., Nallur, S., et al. (2011). A 3'-untranslated region KRAS variant and triple-negative breast cancer: a case-control and genetic analysis. Lancet Oncology 12, 377-386.
- Ratner, E., Lu, L., Boeke, M., Barnett, R., Nallur, S., Chin, L., Pelletier, C., Blitzblau, R., Tassi, R., Paranjape, T., et al. (2010). A KRAS-variant in Ovarian Cancer Acts as a Genetic Marker of Cancer Risk. Cancer Research 15, 6509-6515.
- Chin, L., Ratner, E., Leng, S., Zhai, R., Nullur, S., Babar, I., Muller, R., Straka, E., Su, L., Burki, E., et al. (2008). A SNP in a let-7 microRNA complementary site in the KRAS 3' untranslated region increases non-small cell lung cancer risk. Cancer Res 68, 8535-8540.
- Kazmi HR, Chandra A, Kumar S, Satyam LK, Gupta A, Nigam J, Srivastava M, Mittal B. (2016) A let-7 microRNA binding site polymorphism in the KRAS 3’UTR is associated with increased risk and reduced survival for gallbladder cancer in North Indian population. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2016 Sep 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gutiérrez-Malacatt H, Ayala-Sanchez M, Aquino-Ortega X, Dominguez-Rodriguez J, Martinez-Tovar A, Olarte-Carrillo I, Martinez-Hernandez A, C CC, Orozco L, Cordova EJ. (2016) The rs61764370 Functional Variant in the KRAS Oncogene is Associated with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Risk in Women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2016;17(4):2265-70.
- Pilarski, R., Patel, D., Weitzel, J., McVeigh, T., Dorairaj, J., Heneghan, H., Miller, N., Weidhaas, J., Kerin, M., McKenna, M., et al. (2012). A KRAS-variant is associated with risk of developing double primary breast and ovarian cancer. PLos ONE 7, e37891.
- McVeigh TP, Jung SY, Kerin MJ, Salzman DW, Nallur S, Nemec AA, Dookwah M, Sadofsky J, Paranjape T, Kelly O, Chan E, Miller N, Sweeney KJ, Zelterman D, Sweasy J, Pilarski R, Telesca D, Slack FJ, Weidhaas JB. (2015) Estrogen withdrawal, increased breast cancer risk and the KRAS-variant. Cell Cycle. 2015;14(13):2091-9. doi: 10.1080/15384101.2015.1041694. Epub 2015 May 11.