MiraKind was founded as a nonprofit research organization in 2013 by Joanne Weidhaas, MD, PhD., following her discovery of the KRAS-variant, an inherited genetic mutation associated with an increased risk of cancer. The KRAS-variant was the first inherited mutation of its kind, as cancer risk can be modified for people with the KRAS-variant by lifestyle decisions. Every year scientists like Dr. Weidhaas discover hundreds of novel genetic markers that could benefit millions of patients. Unfortunately, very few of these discoveries make it beyond the research laboratory for validation. Dr. Weidhaas founded MiraKind to change this by breaking down the barriers between doctors, scientists, and patients to validate these novel findings, and to ask the questions that will lead to actionable strategies to reduce cancer risk and suffering. MiraKind’s research is patient-centered from start to finish, with the ultimate goal of empowering patients so that, together with their doctors, they can make the best decisions for their health and lifestyle. Our research is guided by one question: How can we enhance health and longevity for all individuals?
The key to helping us achieve our goals is YOU:
- Join the MiraKind community to help shape our future research
- Share your story so that others may benefit from your experience
- If you are eligible, get tested for the KRAS-variant
- Participate in a study to advance our understanding of mutations like the KRAS-variant.
- Make a donation, and spread the word